Events and Programs
- This event has passed.
MARCH TO PROTECT WOMEN’S REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS
October 2 @ 11:00 am – 1:00 pm America/EDT
Take Action: NCJW Utah for the Rally for Abortion Justice this Saturday, October 2nd!
Please join NCJW Utah for the Rally for Abortion Justice this Saturday, October 2nd!
NCJW Utah is a proud partner supporting the SLC Women’s March to send a clear message to the Supreme Court and lawmakers across the country: The attack on our reproductive rights will not be tolerated.
*Meet NCJW Board Members Lisa Cohne and Sue Corth at 10:45 am at theNorthwest side of the City and County Building at the corner of State Street and 400 South on Washington Square.
The rally and speakers will begin at 11 am and the walk up to the Capitol building will start at approximately 11:45 am, with speakers continuing at 12:30 pm at the Capitol.
Look for Lisa and Sue who will be wearing NCJW T-shirts and holding the sign attached here — they will have 20 NCJW rally posters for members to carry, or bring your own sign! We will have t-shirts for participants to wear as well. If you cannot find Lisa and/or Sue Saturday morning, call or text Lisa at 801-243-8488.
Here is a link to sign up for the event: https://act.womensmarch.com/event/oct-2-2021-march/2088?source=map&akid=
Also, please consider signing this petition: https://sign.moveon.org/petitions/utah-women-s-reproductive-rights
If you wish to make your own sign, here are some suggestions from the rally organizers:
- “Everyone loves someone who has had an abortion” (courtesy of We Testify & the National Network of Abortion Funds)
- Abortion: legal, accessible & funded/free.
- Abortion: Anytime. Any reason. (courtesy of We Testify)
- Roe is the floor, not the ceiling; it’s time for more!
- We’re done compromising: abortion justice for all!
- Build power, protect Roe, reach for more!
- Fund abortion, build power! (courtesy of the National Network of Abortion Funds)
- Saving Roe is not enough. We need Abortion Justice. (courtesy of All* Above All)
- Abortion is healthcare.
- The courts don’t decide our destiny, we do.
- Abortion today, tomorrow, forever.
- Your reason is the right reason. (courtesy of We Testify)
- There’s no freedom without access.
- Abortion is unstoppable! (courtesy of Reproaction)
- I love someone who had an abortion.
- Abortion justice can’t wait. (Courtesy of All* Above All)
Lastly, because these themes have come up in recent conversations, here are recommendations from rally organizers about what not to bring on October 2:
-Coat-hanger imagery: We do not want to accidentally reinforce the right wing talking points that self-managed abortions are dangerous, scary and harmful.
–Handmaid’s Tale themed: The use of Handmaid’s Tale imagery to characterize the controlling of women’s reproduction has proliferated, primarily by white women across the country, since the show has gained popularity. This message continues to create more fragmentation, often around race and class, because it erases the fact that Black women, undocumented women, incarcerated women, poor women and disabled women have always had their reproduction freedom controlled in this country. This is not a dystopian past or future.
-Taliban references: Comparing anti-abortion lawmakers or abortion restrictions to Sharia Law are racist, anti-Muslim, and inaccurate, and can be deeply harmful and triggering.
Thank you and hope to see you then!
*Meet NCJW Board Members Lisa Cohne and Sue Corth at 10:45 am at the Northwest side of the City and County Building at the corner of State Street and 400 South on Washington Square.